A new recipe I tried lately is this wonderful Black Bean Burrito. It was so yummy. My spouse also loved it but he did say, “This is really good but, just so you know, I am not a vegetarian so please put meat in it next time.” Shesh, men we love them but, just shut up and eat what I make you am I right? I do think a meat that would compliment this dish would be a spicy chorizo sausage so if your cooking for someone who must have meat at every meal id go with that first. Or if you have another meat suggestion let me know in the comments.
Black Bean Burrito
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 jalapeno, diced seeded if you prefer mild heat
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 cup of water
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar, shredded
- 4 flour tortillas
- salt and pepper to taste
- preheat oven to 350 line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a skillet and combine onion, red pepper, garlic, jalapeno, cumin and chili powder cook on medium heat stirring frequently until tender crisp. About 3 minutes. Add black beans and tomatoes season with salt and pepper to taste. cook for about 3 minutes or until beans are heated through
- Meanwhile combine rice water and butter in a pot covered on medium low until done about 15-20 minutes or follow rice package instructions.
- Combine avocado, cilantro and lemon salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble burritos by placing an even amount of rice, bean mixture, avocado mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Fold in two sides of the burrito and roll up starting from an unfolded end. Place burrito seam side down on prepared pan and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until warmed and cheese is melted about 7 minutes.
Makes four burritos
This dinner idea took me only about 30 minutes to prepare it is quick and easy. Perfect meal idea for a busy household. A great recipe for those days when you forgot to pull something out of the freezer. I well absolutely be making this one more often my family really likes to put the heat on to add more heat put chili flakes in the avocado or add more hot peppers to the skillet. Use a spicy cheese or simply add your favourite hot sauce before rolling the burrito. Of course if you family does not enjoy the heat of spices don’t add them and reduce chili powder slightly but not too much to compromise flavour or serve with sour cream.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. This was my first time doing a black bean burrito and I am in love it is going to be one of my new favourite menu ideas.
Thanks for cooking with me today and if you do recreate this dish tell me about it I love to hear!